Rio Tinto Limited (ASX:RIO) has announced its first coal shipment from Mozambique. The global miner has started exporting premium hard coking coal from its Benga Mine, bound for an Indian steel mill.
The chief of Rio’s Energy division, Doug Ritchie says the shipment is the first step towards Rio’s aim to become a significant supplier of hard coking coal to the seaborne market.
The Benga Mine is operated by Rio, who hold a 65 per cent stake with Tata Steel Limited holding the remaining 35 per cent interest.
Rio Tinto posted a net profit of $6.7 billion the 2011 financial year.